This page is out of date. Please use the main navigation to find the latest documentation.
Getting a new package into the metad archive
Set up a clean pbuilder environment. (Create it once and copy it to a new directory when you're starting with a new package.)
- Download the package source (and make changes if necessary).
- Build the package in the pbuilder environment for one or more of the gNewSense architectures.
Upload the source to the build machine using dput and the .changes file. (1).
- Buildd tools (e.g. rebuildd) automatically picks up the source and compiles it for all the architectures. The reason for not just reusing the uploader's binaries is we want to know that the package can build successfully, but that we want the distro to be self-hosting (building its own packages).
The buildd tool runs a post-build hook to move the packages into the master package pool. (It does not run apt-ftparchive.)
- Apt-ftparchive runs periodically (e.g. every 6 hours) to add new packages to the package lists.
(1) Current dput still uploads the binaries too. Hopefully this will be fixed in a future version.